Election Day Survival Guide
First of all: did you vote? If you haven't done that yet, stop reading IMMEDIATELY and get your tushy to the polls! GO!
Moving right along...
I'm listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I gave in. Why, you ask? Because I can't take all the negativity and anxiety and LIFE so I needed something that would make me feel warm and fuzzy and safe. #sorrynotsorry As I write this, I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan's sweet, silky voice singing 'River'. Dinner is in the slow cooker and one child is sleeping while the other one is downstairs listening to the audio book of the Wizard of Oz for the thousandth time. The sun has that late afternoon golden hue that is shining through my kitchen windows and it seems like things are going to be fine. I hope this feeling reappears on Wednesday.
Seriously, though. This election season has been a slog and I want tomorrow to be quick and painless so we can just move on with life and deal with whatever happens. I'm saying a billion prayers that we elect the right person to lead our country and all its people with care, grace, intelligence, and intention.
Just in case you are feeling down in the dumps about all of this, I put together a survival guide (to be taken with a grain of salt, of course) to get your through Election Day.
- VOTE. For the love of God and all that is holy, VOTE. Now that that's done...
- Don't turn on the news or open any news apps on your phone. Just don't. It won't help.
- Have some coffee and sit outside, breathing in the fresh fall air and pondering the reason for daylight savings.
- Research cocktail recipes. Preferably of the big batch variety.
- Stock up on snacks appropriate for stress-eating.
- Get your coffee ready to brew for the next morning. You're gonna need it.
- Do a rain dance while tossing salt over your shoulder and crossing your fingers.
- Surround yourself with people who will make you laugh about all of this madness. Laughter is the best medicine, right?
And there you have it! Your Election Day Survival Guide!