I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I somehow became one of those people who doesn't feel truly at home in a new space until a dinner party/birthday party/brunch party/anything party has taken place. Something about entertaining helps me learn more about my new space. I figure out how to move around the kitchen efficiently. I learn where people are drawn to stand and talk. I watch as people make themselves comfortable and I listen to how their words and laughter bounce off the walls. I love it.
Not long after we moved into our newest home, we planned to host a certain someone's first birthday. Of course, the stomach flu had other plans and we had to reschedule. When we were finally all well and ready to celebrate, we invited our friends and family over for brunch. It was lovely. It really was. And this breakfast burrito casserole was the perfect way to feed a crowd.
My obsession with breakfast burritos is quite serious. I would go so far as to say that I love them. The pockets of cheese among hearty potatoes and scrambled eggs are perfection. What makes them even better is a healthy amount of green chili sauce and spicy bites of chorizo. I've put all of those things in a make-ahead egg casserole and covered it all in salty, crunchy tortilla chip crumbs.
Yep. I did it.
Yep. It's as delicious as it sounds.
Breakfast Burrito Casserole
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bag frozen hashbrowns
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz chorizo sausage links, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups green chili sauce (I used 505 brand, medium heat)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- a handful or two of fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9x13" baking dish by buttering it or spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk. Stir in half of the shredded cheese. Season with a small amount salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the chorizo and green onions and sauté until the sausage begins to brown and the onions soften. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the hashbrowns into the egg mixture, followed by the sausage and onions. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top with the green chili sauce, the rest of the cheese and the tortilla chips and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted. If you like, brown the cheese under the broiler for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!
*To Make-Ahead: Assemble the casserole through step 5 and refrigerate until ready to bake. You may need to add a little extra baking time, but otherwise complete the recipe as written!