The Black Tie
So apparently there are these things called "movies" that people see in a gigantic room on a ginormous screen at a "theater". I'm not sure who these people are, but they must enjoy this activity because there is an awards show devoted to the very best movies from the year. I thought the only movies out there happened on Friday nights while eating pizza and playing Candy Land. And they typically involve animated characters and musical dialogue. No?
Well, if you are fancy enough to watch the Oscars this weekend, you should make it a real event by whipping up one of these Black Tie cocktails. This is basically a slightly sweet martini made with black vodka, Créme de Cassis, and an egg white for a little added drama.
Enjoy with popcorn, potato chips, or fancy two-bite appetizers while sticking your pinky out in a delicate manner and judging red carpet dresses. (You know you're going to!)
Makes 1 cocktail
Total time: 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces black vodka
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- Scant 1/2 ounce Créme de Cassis
- 1 egg white
- Combine all the ingredients except black vodka in a cocktail shaker WITHOUT ice for 10 seconds until frothy.
- Add a few ice cubes and shake until chilled for an additional 10 seconds.
- Strain into a glass and set aside.
- Rinse cocktail shaker and fill with a handful of ice. Add black vodka and shake until chilled.
- Pour the vodka into a chilled martini glass, then pour the frothy egg mixture over the vodka.
*Notes: Adding the black vodka after shaking the egg white helps keep a more clean, white foam for the top of the drink. The Créme de Cassis may create a slightly rosey color to the foam, but it won't be as noticeable.