Hey! Look at me posting recipes TWICE in ONE WEEK. Who even am I?
Today in Cinco de Mayo and we are having some friends over for tacos filled with tasty barbacoa, margaritas, and probably these mojitos. I mean, look at that beautiful pink color! And the sweet-sour rhubarb syrup with fresh mint and basil? I can't even. And guess what else? It isn't going to be snowing in the Denver area! It's going to be 80 degrees today. EIGHTY. I love snow. I really, really do. Probably more than a normal human being should. But the last few weeks have been rough. We've been hit with some seriously heavy snow storms that have left me feeling like I've been hiding under a wet blanket. Until today when it was sunny and beautiful and I walked outside and it was AMAZING.
Can you tell I'm a little wound up about all of this?
I was sipping one of these mojitos yesterday evening while sitting under a giant maple tree that sits off to one side of our front yard. It was one of those perfect moments when the light is soft and golden and the grass almost glows green. Riley was playing at a neighbors house and Braden was toddling around the yard playing with a stick, his red hair still messy from his afternoon nap, and I almost burst with happiness. It's amazing how warmth and color and life can do that, isn't it?
Whether you are able to enjoy this drink for Cinco de Mayo or not, I hope you at least try it sometime soon. Preferably on a warm summer night when there is nothing to do but sit and enjoy your surroundings.
Makes 1 mojito & just over 1 cup simple syrup
Rhubarb simple syrup:
- 4 rhubarb stalks, cut into chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture over a jar or bowl.
- Cool completely before using.
For the mojito:
- 2 oz rhubarb simple syrup
- 3 thin slices fresh rhubarb
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 basil leaves
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 oz club soda
- Muddle the syrup with the rhubarb, mint and basil in the bottom of a glass.
- Add the white rum and stir to combine.
- Fill the glass with ice and top with the club soda.