Oh, hey there August! I don't know how you got here so fast but I am LOVING everything about you so far.
If I didn't know better, I'd say we were heading into September or October rather than August, but this cool-weather-lover isn't complaining! I'm currently wearing a flannel shirt and am not mad about it. Still, summer is everywhere thanks to PEACH SEASON! You guys. I'm eating so many peaches right now and it's absolute heaven. They are sweet and juicy and perfectly ripe and I cannot get enough.
This dish is perfect for the somewhat confusing weather situation we have going on here. The cinnamon spiced chicken thighs give hints of autumn while the peach basil salsa screams summer. It's a perfect marriage of flavors that is sure to become a family favorite!
BONUS: this recipe comes together in an easy 30 minutes and has a minimal ingredient list. #weeknightgoals
Here's the beauty of this recipe, aside from the gorgeous color and perfect combination of textures: you can sub any of your favorite seasonal ingredients for the peaches. Tomatoes? YES. Apples that have been lightly sautéed in butter? Absolutely! Roasted butternut squash? PLEASE.
Meals like this make me feel a little less anxious about the beginning of the school year. It's funny how having a solid recipe under my belt helps with that, isn't it? Maybe you feel that way too. In which case, BFFs forever!
Now, excuse me while I consume the leftovers for lunch...they are perfect over a bed of spinach. Salad-style.
crispy cinnamon spiced chicken thighs with peach basil salsa
- 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil
- 2 large peaches, washed and diced
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (more to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- slivered, toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Combine the salt and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the chicken.
- Melt the ghee or coconut oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Set the chicken, skin side down, in the skillet and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the skin is nicely browned. Flip and cook for 3 minutes on the second side.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the peaches, basil leaves and balsamic vinegar in a bowl, tossing gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the chicken is done cooking, arrange on a platter and top with the salsa or serve separately so everyone can put their own plates together. Sprinkle almonds over everything and enjoy!