It's late. Too late for me to be awake, since I need to be awake in a few short hours. But sometimes I need a late night of working when the house is quiet, everyone is tucked, and I can really concentrate. I'm not always alert enough to get much done at this time of night anymore, but I'm taking advantage of the moment. The good news? Being up this late means you all get to wake up to this Clean Pumpkin Pie Latte recipe. The bad news? I might need two of these in the morning. But can that really be considered bad news? Nah.
The main reason I'm staying awake right now is because I have the window open and a cool, crisp breeze is blowing through my office. You know what that breeze is bringing with it? Fall. I can feel it. And I couldn't be happier. I'm doing what I can to be more present this year as fall arrives. Last year, I feel like it crept up on me and just happened. I didn't even notice until the leaves had already changed and were beginning to fall off the trees. So, I'm slowing it down this year. I'm taking time to breathe and look around, beyond my phone and my computer screen, so that I don't miss it this time. It must be a good sign that I'm armed with a nourishing pumpkin pie latte recipe that is dairy and sugar free. Right?
I know, I know...some of you have had enough of the pumpkin spice craze. Honestly, I'm pretty warn out with it all myself. I can handle the candles and the lattes to a certain extent, but all the other stuff? I think I saw pumpkin spice toilet paper somewhere. Really? Is that necessary? The beauty of my pumpkin pie latte, which I posted a couple years back, is that it actually has pumpkin in it (gasp!). This new version was inspired by the original and tailored to fit my current Whole 30 life during the month of September. I could live without the wine and the cheese, surprisingly, but my favorite fall coffee drink? Something had to be done.
So, I buzzed a few ingredients together in my blender and this creamy, dreamy beauty was born. Cashew milk, espresso, pumpkin puree and lots of spices are great and all, but then I had to go and top the whole thing with some whipped coconut cream. #sorrynotsorry
So here's what you need to do: go buy all the things you need to make this latte, go home and make it, then sit outside and look around. Don't even bring your phone. JUST DON'T. Look at the leaves, listen to the birds, watch you kids run around, and sip on this until the last drop is gone.
clean pumpkin pie latte
makes 1 latte
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk, warmed (homemade tastes best, IMO)
- 2 shots hot espresso OR 1 cup strong, hot coffee, hot (if you go with the coffee, reduce cashew milk to 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (recipe here; or buy it from the store)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (I use Penzey's but you can use a combo of cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1 date, pitted (soak it in hot water for about 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream, chilled for 8 hours (you can omit the cream if you don't have 8 hours to wait)
- Whip the chilled coconut cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients (except the coconut cream) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a mug and top with the coconut cream.