Black & Blueberry Crisp
I don’t write very often anymore. It’s hard to pinpoint why that is, but I think there are a few factors. One rather surprising factor is that I no longer have a functioning laptop. Sometimes I need to get out of my regular spaces to really feel what I want to write about. I cannot haul my desktop computer around, ya know?
Yes, I can type on my phone or write in a journal, but I miss the ease and speed of writing on a laptop.
Right now, I’m writing on my phone (negative) while watching a perfect spring rain fall from the comfort of my front porch (positive). This time of year in Colorado is so lovely. Everything is green (Colorado green, but green nonetheless) and the warm days lead to cool, breezy nights that are perfect for windows-wide-open sleeping. I savor these days because I know that soon I won’t want to move because of the heat. I’ll avoid running the AC until I can’t sleep at night. And I’ll wish for nights like this so hard.
Someone down the street is laughing. I don’t know which of my neighbors it is, but I’m imagining it’s a woman and her partner talking about their days and the funny things their children did or said. Or perhaps it’s a couple of teenagers, preparing for their last days in high school, soaking in that blissful, butterflies-in-your-stomach, young love that feels like it will last a lifetime. Oh, and I’m definitely enjoying some of this black and blueberry crisp with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream on top.
So, basically, I’m in heaven.
Whatever is holding you back from doing something you love, I hope you take a moment this week to push that hurdle aside. Or sail over it, so you can do something that brings your soul joy and peace. Writing is one of those things for me. Maybe for you it’s baking, calling a friend, drawing, building something...whatever it is, don’t let it go.
And maybe try doing it with a bowl of black and blueberry crisp.
This crisp is easy, uses a short list of ingredients, is gluten and refined sugar free, and makes a fabulous breakfast! I mean, dessert. I mean, BOTH. No judgment here, friends! The blackberries and blueberries are simply tossed with a healthy dose of lemon juice, some nutmeg, and a bit of cornstarch to keep the juices from being too runny. The topping is a delectable combination of oats, almond flour, toasted pistachios for lots of crunch, some coconut oil and a bit of maple syrup. I tested a few recipes to get to this one, one of which was Shauna Niequists blueberry crisp from her book (a favorite of mine) Bread & Wine. If you haven't read it yet, you should really get on it.
I hope you make this and enjoy every bite with some of your favorite people over the long weekend! Happy Memorial Day, friends!
Black & Blueberry Crisp
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 4 cups blueberries, fresh are best but frozen also work
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the oats, almond flour, pistachios, syrup, and coconut oil in a medium bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Set aside.
2. In a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, toss the berries with the lemon juice, cornstarch or arrowroot, and nutmeg. Top the berries with the crisp topping. Bake for 30 minutes or until the berry juices are bubbling and the crisp is golden. Enjoy topped with ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, coconut cream...you get the idea!