Instant Pot Lemon Herb Chicken Soup
I'm a big believer in soup all year long. There is alway a rainy summer day with just enough of a chill in the air to warrant a bowl of comforting soup and I always take advantage of that. Since we've been back from our Minnesota vacation, my body has been asking/begging for something flavorful and comforting without being heavy and complicated. So, I pulled out my trusty Instant Pot and whipped up this super basic chicken soup situation, thickened it up with an egg yolk (works like a dream!), and gave it some extra lightness and flavor with lots of fresh lemon juice and a little parsley/garlic/red pepper action over the top. I'm not kidding you when I say this: it is the MOST delicious chicken soup I've ever made and it is insanely easy.
Another huge plus: this soup is great for keeping in the freezer! That way, if you're like me and you only have one bowl and want to save the rest, you can just stick the soup in a big mason jar (leave about an inch at the top so it doesn't explode), pop it in the freezer, and save it for a chilly fall day. Yes and yes!
Some more things I'm loving right now that are more summer-appropriate:
- coffee out on the porch before the kids wake up
- dinners on the back patio
- walks with the dogs
- lazy afternoons in the backyard with the waterslide set up
What are you loving about these last few weeks of summer before the school year starts? If you say soup, I will not judge you. In fact, I'll give you a big high five! ;)
Instant Pot Chicken Soup
Makes 6-8 Servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups mire poix*
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock (I love using bone broth!)
- 1 egg yolk
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Turn on the sauté setting on your instant pot and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When heated, add the mire poix and sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Place the chicken breasts over the veggies, sprinkle with dill and a little salt. Add the chicken stock or bone broth. Press the 'Cancel' button, then press the 'Soup' button and set for 30 minutes. Lock the lid in place and set the valve to seal.
- Carefully (wear an oven mit) release the valve on your Instant Pot.
- Use two forks to shred your chicken.
- Put your egg yolk in a liquid measuring cup. Slowly drizzle in a ladle of the hot broth, whisking constantly until smooth. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the soup and stir. Add the lemon juice and stir again. Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- In a small food processor, or with a knife, pulse or chop the parsley with the garlic, red pepper flakes, a heavy pinch of salt, and remaining olive oil.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with the parsley mixture.
*Mire Poix, in this recipe, is a combination of chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Many grocery stores sell this pre-chopped in the produce department (score!) and I find mine at Trader Joe's. If you can't find it pre-chopped, you can absolutely do it yourself!