Peach season has arrived and I am SO EXCITED. I bought an 18 pound box of peaches from our church (all the proceeds go to our youth group which is so awesome) and they are absolutely perfect. I've been eating 2 of them pretty much every day- one with breakfast and one after dinner. As for the rest of the bunch, I'm finding new ways to showcase their perfect peach flavor without overcooking/over-sugaring them. Just the other day I was telling my mom how I find it a little sad to make something like jam out of such lovely tasting fruit. (Am I strange for feeling that way? Yes? Well OK then.) These healthy peach and oat muffins are just about the best thing ever. Healthy and with just a hint of what's around the corner (spoiler alert: it's FALL) thanks to a cinnamon-sugar coating on top.
These muffins came at a great time for me because I've been trying to work more whole grains into my diet. Specifically, I've been trying to add more wheat germ into my meals. Sprinkled on top of peanut butter toast: yum. Added to a peanut butter & banana smoothie: yum. Stirred into this muffin batter: winner. The wheat germ along with a healthy amount of rolled oats and whole wheat flower make me feel pretty good about eating one of these with my yogurt in the morning or as a midday snack with a little chamomile tea.
Perhaps my favorite part about these peach muffins is that they allow the fruit to really show off. When you bite into the nutty bread of the muffin along with a juicy, sweet chunk of peach it's like a Ratatouille moment.
If that doesn't convince you to make these asap I'm not sure what will.
So get to it!
Healthy Peach & Oat Muffins
Total time: 28 minutes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup diced peaches (washed but not peeled)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats, wheat germ, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, and butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until no flour is visible.
- Stir in the peaches and fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop even amounts of the batter into the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the tops with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before eating.