Paleo Chocolate-Almond Cookies
Happy Valentine's Day friends! How is your day going so far? Any super romantical things happening out there? Tell me all your stories! I'm still in my PJ's, 2 cups of coffee into the day, and trying to wrap my head around getting outside to enjoy what seems to be a warm, sunshiney day out there. But first, I wanted to share this cookie recipe with you. There are some things about this recipe that are not often seen in my kitchen. First off, they have ZERO added sugar. There is a touch of honey but that is all. Second, these are Paleo AND gluten free! WHAT.
I was a little nervous when I first made these because the combination of ingredients did not equate cookie success. Without butter, sugar, and flour I thought they would for sure be a failure. But, because I was intensely determined, I went ahead and tossed everything in a bowl and gave it my all! I'm happy to report that they make the house smell delicious, just as any other cookie might.
A couple things to note before I send you off to make these for your GF, Paleo diet sweetheart:
- The dough will seem VERY dry when you roll it out. Placing it between two pieces of parchment after pressing it together with your hands will help.
- Depending on the consistency of your nut butter (I used almond but you could also use peanut) you may want to zap it in the microwave for about 10 seconds to loosen it up a bit so it is easier to stir with the honey.
- Do NOT- I repeat, do NOT- roll the dough out too thin. The cookies will absolutely crumble to pieces if they are to thin. Somewhere around 1/4inch and 1/3 inch is just about perfect.
The last tip I have for you is this: these cookies are best made with a tiny human who stole your heart the moment he entered this world...
Or with your bestie. Or while jamming out to your very favorite music. Whatever you do, make sure you have a happy heart and remember love in all it's forms. It's pretty great.
Paleo Chocolate-Almond Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup almond butter or peanut butter (Natural, unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, whisk the almond flour with the cocoa powder.
- In another medium bowl, stir the almond butter, honey and almond milk together until smooth. If the nut butter seems to stiff, microwave it for 10 seconds to loosen it up and make it easier to stir.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the nut butter and stir until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment laid out on a work surface. Press the dough together with your hands and flatten it into a disc.
- Cover the dough with another piece of parchment paper and roll the dough to about 1/3 of an inch but no thinner than 1/4 inch.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Carefully transfer the cut cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet then transfer to the refrigerator again for another 30 minutes before eating.