Creamy Sweet Corn Carbonara
Being pregnant makes me want to eat all the carbs. Just keep 'em coming because I can't get enough. I don't indulge myself as often as I'd like but sometimes there is just no denying the need for something noodle-y, potato-y, bread-y...you get the idea. This sweet corn carbonara fulfilled my craving the other day and had me falling in love with sweet corn all over again. There is something so wonderful about twirling long, creamy noodles around the tongs of a fork and seeing bright yellow corn kernels and vibrant green arugula joining the fray. Each bite is a beautiful combination of flavors and textures: crisp, sweet corn...peppery, delicate arugula...crunchy, salty bacon...and smooth, creamy pasta. You really cannot go wrong.
We ate this comforting summer dish outside as the sun hid behind the trees and a cool breeze came in to rid us of the scorching heat that lingers in our backyard. It was my mom's last night in town and each comforting bite felt as though it was a little escape from the sadness of knowing the goodbyes were coming. As I write this, I'm sitting at my kitchen table looking around at a house that has little whispers of her presence; Riley's toys are more organized than they have been in months, the dirty dishes are all clean, and Riley's room is neatly and sweetly arranged. She left the house in better shape than when she arrived. I don't know how she does it.
This was the first meal I threw myself into after my trip to Oregon with Tillamook. I have lots of cute cow photos to share with you and lots to say about all the cheese and ice cream I got to enjoy with some pretty awesome people. Coming soon!
I hope you take the time to make this dish during corn season. It wouldn't be the same with frozen corn, but I'm sure you could do it. I just can't vouch for the finished dish the way I can if you use fresh corn. Don't like arugula? Add some baby spinach! Want to dress things up a bit? Use pancetta instead of bacon and top the pasta with a perfectly poached egg. Do it! If I could, I would.
Creamy Sweet Corn Carbonara
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 corn cobs)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pasta water
- 2 cups arugula
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt and add the linguine. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Pour all but about 1-2 tablespoons of the leftover butter/bacon fat out of the pan and return to the burner.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the egg and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl.
- Add the corn and pasta to the pan, tossing to coat.
- Turn off the heat and add the egg/cheese mixture along with about 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss constantly to create a nice, creamy sauce, adding more pasta water as needed.
- Add the arugula and toss to barely wilt.
- Serve immediately topped with the bacon and additional parmesan cheese on the side.