Eggs on a Crispy Tortilla + Homemade Roasted Salsa
I have a bad habit of not finishing all the food in our refrigerator before going out and buying more. Before I know it, there isn't any room for anything else and I've forgotten about the containers of leftovers, jars of salad dressing, and half finished bottle of white wine that end up stuck in the back corners. It's like a black hole in there sometimes.
I'm just being honest. Don't judge.
Lately, I've been trying to be more diligent about using what I have on hand before heading to the store. I actually love doing this because it helps me to think more creatively about dishes I can make with simple, every day ingredients. The dish photographed in this post was thrown together after an emergency visit to the vet with Decorah the dog. She had a run-in with a bee (we think) and her entire face was swollen. Not fun. Two shots and two days of Benadryl later and she's finally back to normal. Going to the vet with a toddler and a pup can be quite stressful, especially if you haven't had time to mentally prepare. It's like getting ready for a football game; you need time to get your head in the right place, plan your plays and backup plays (and backup-backup plays), and get all your gear ready. On this particular day, I tossed a few books and toys into a little monkey backpack, put a leash on my puffy-faced pup, and headed out the door without any breakfast and only half of my cup of coffee.
Needless to say, by the time we got home I needed some nourishment and fast. So, I started the broiler, spread some of my homemade roasted salsa on a whole wheat tortilla and topped it with some shredded cheese. While that was getting all melty and crispy in the oven, I fried two eggs (with nice runny yolks, of course) and chopped the last of my chives from the garden. A few drops of hot sauce and sliced avocado and I had a perfectly wonderful meal to enjoy.
What are your tricks for keeping the refrigerator clean and organized? Do you have any favorite ways to use leftovers? Tell me all about it! I clearly need help.
Eggs on a Crispy Tortilla with Homemade Roasted Salsa
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1/4 cup roasted tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (white cheddar, cheddar jack, or mozzarella all work)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Fresh chives or cilantro for garnish
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat your oven's broiler.
- Place the tortilla on a baking sheet.
- Spread the tortilla with the salsa and top with the shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 3 minutes until the edges of the tortilla are crispy and golden and the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Cover the pan and turn the heat to low. Allow the eggs to cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes more.
- Top the tortilla with the fried eggs and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the chives and avocado. Serve with hot sauce if desired.